I use an 8-step process to determine opportunities and priorities. Over the past 12+ years, my digital marketing, process, technology and analytical skills have joined forces with my background in consulting. Here’s my consultation framework.
1. Learn the business model. What is being sold, who is the customer, and through what channels are sales distributed? How is money made? What does it cost to acquire a customer, what is the value per product, per customer, and return on investment?
2. Problem definition. What are the problems needing to be solved? What are the objectives? What’s working well? What’s not working? How do you know?
3. How are these problems being addressed today?
4. Identify Objectives. Sales volume goals, cost per customer, value per customer, cost savings. Note, I don’t consider lead volume to be an objective unless you’re in the ‘leads selling’ business. In most other businesses, leads is an input to sales, with sales being the ultimate objective.
5. Data gathering and analysis to understand current performance, and vs. goals.
6. Infrastructure analysis. What platforms are being used, how are they working, what are the key processes, and where are the pains?
7. Constraints – time, people, money.
8. Synthesize findings and develop recommendation(s) based on impact vs. complexity.